[OM] Re: Rats, it's the E-1 again,

Subject: [OM] Re: Rats, it's the E-1 again,
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:03:09 -0800

>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:04:12 -0500
>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: Rats, it's the E-1 again, was: Re: olympus Digest V1 #38
>
>What makes me nervous about the 10D is that there are lots of complaints
>in the dpreview forums about the autofocus often being inaccurate.  And
>it's difficult to check on the autofocus accuracy visually since the
>finder isn't really built for manual focus.  Some believe that at least
>part of the problem is the sensors angle of view is supposedly larger
>than the area indicated in the viewfinder.
>
>The same forums praise the E-1 for its fast and accurate autofocus.
>Something doesn't jive here.

You're right; I've read about the issues early on last year regarding
the10D back-focussing; some have noticed it, but others who felt they
had a real problem sent the camera to Canon to have the autofocus
adjusted and reported no further problems.  Phil Askey tested this
bone of contention in his review of the 10D and did not find it to be
an issue. DPReview is populated by a lot of gear-heads, a lot them
are geeks more than they are photographers. One of them posted a
thread last weekend that the sample images from the 1D Mark II were
crap; when all the discussion at Rob Galbraith and SportShooter.com
were how incredibly beautiful the images were. Personally, I've found
that many of the people that post at Rob Galbraith and
SportsShooter.com to be much more knowledgeable than many of the
folks at DPReview; except for pros like Stephen Eastwood and Paul
Pope. Probably because there are more real working pros at the latter
two sites. See if you can find a review of the 10D at Rob Galbraith,
for example....

All I can tell you is that I see a LOT of pros shooting with 10D's at
the racetracks, including Mike Veglia and Mike Leavitt. Maybe you
should write Mike and see what his experience has been; his would be
more meaningful than most people at DPReview, I think.  My experience
with the E-1 was that it autofocussed fine outdoors, but it was a
poor performer with indoor lighting. It also has notable noise issues
above ISO 400. But the histograms are very nice, and the one of the
guys I shoot with liked it very much. He wants to get one from the
Oly rep for some real-world testing.
Thanks for the clarification on the MA-1.
-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!