[OM] Silly Polaroid SprintScan 4000 question

Subject: [OM] Silly Polaroid SprintScan 4000 question
From: Humbert Humbert <0humbert0humbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:04:54 -0600
>From beginner to wise list posters, with special reference to Tris
Schuler: are you familiar with lamp problems affecting the SprintScan
4000?

I have a lightless SprintScan 4000 which came out of the box with the
problem but seems to work just fine in every other regard. Due to
repeated moves and my own lack of acumen, I failed to catch the defect
during the warranty period. Moreover, the assembly clearly prevents
replacement of the light source by an end-user.

Polaroid people do not answer emails for info -- even though I bought
it direct from them! -- and I read that they are downright avaricious
about even looking at a defective scanner.

Before I pick up the phone to ask Polaroid to give me a paying
estimate, would anyone know of any alternatives to sending the
SprintScan back to its makers?

Thanks for any... enlightenment,

Phil (aka Humbert Humbert)