[OM] Re: Fertiliser, was OT Efficient Flushing,

Subject: [OM] Re: Fertiliser, was OT Efficient Flushing,
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:36:27 +1100
Gritted my teeth and held my knees firmly together for most of this
thread but eventually...(hey - I've thrown in a couple of on-topic
posts today so I've earned the right.) Now leaving aside my design
for a horse-manure powered hothouse, there has been some recent
research in Oz on this.
A group were concerned about the usual turd disposal technique used
by bushwalkers in wilderness areas - dig a hole, use it and bury it.
They did a long term study of buried human excrement in the low
fertility, phosphate poor Australian soils where such contamination
can kill locally adapted species and encourage weed growth.
Apparently, after a year there was very little degradation in some
soils and locations. Their advice was to accelerate the process by
urinating in the hole as well - speeds things up significantly.
1. No, they did not use OM equipment to record the decay rates.
2. Yes, it is useful research.
3. No, it is not the most unpleasant research project I have read -
that goes to the guy who spend his days in Antarctica making penguins
vomit in a bucket (soft words and a rubber hose) and his nights
examining and logging the contents of the bucket.
AndrewF
(Medieval English advice - the urine of two men is sufficient to
fertilise enough parsnips for a family's yearly needs).