[OM] Re: Digital Bridge Camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Bridge Camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:19:43 -0800
Robert Lewis wrote:

>I thought AG tried to start an interesting thread earlier about digital
>bridge cameras.  I think he was making an analogy to the IS-3(000),
>which is the top-end Olympus film-based bridge camera, and seeking
>a digital camera that might serve a similar role for those of us
>who are sitting on the digital sidelines waiting for prices to drop
>and/or technology to improve. So, as a frequent user of an IS-3(000),
>I can understand the value of such a camera.  However, I must admit
>that I am having trouble determining what digital cameras fit into
>that category or even what features categorize a digital bridge camera.

One problem with this analoy is the real difference between film and
digital cameras, the location of the sensor. An IS-3(000) can use pretty
much any film you want, so the choice of grain vs. speed is your own and
the choice has improved as films have improved. With digital, there is a
real sensor divide between the Prosumer and low end DLSR cameras, and it
is noise (the 'grain' of digital). Take a look at the noise data on an
A1, 5700, 828(uhg!) etc. and put it side-by-side with a 300D, D100, etc.
The bigger sensors deliver dramatically lower noise at any given iso and
you can't just pop in a cartridge of low noise sensor.

This is where the A1 has a big plus. The 'Anti-Shake', by allowing
sharpness at reduced shutter speeds, in effect increases the usability
of any given iso. Thus a shot that would be ok at 1/60 at iso 400 on
another camera can become 1/30 at iso 200, or maybe even 1/15 at iso
100, thus lowering the noise! Another thing to check out when looking at
DCs is the actual sensitivity. Look here
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagea1/page16.asp> to see that
the A1 and G5 are 2/3 stop more sensitive at the marked aperture than
the 828. Again, that can mean lower noise, if you lower the iso, rather
than changing shutter speed and/or aperture.

The A1 is very tempting as a bridge camera, particularly as the new 8mp
prosumers are hammmering down it's price - $600 (and falling?). I'm
interested to see if Minolta responds to comlaints about inferior image
results with in-camera processing and the infinity focus problem in Manual.

Moose