[OM] Re: Photoshop

Subject: [OM] Re: Photoshop
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:48:02 -0800
I posted a step by step here a long while ago. It was stolen from the
book, "PhotoShop 6: Photo Retouching Secrets," by Scott Kelby (but at
least I attributed it! :-) ). Here it is again.

Use Image > Adjust > Curves

The first time you use it:

1. Double-click the black eyedropper in the dialog and set C:75, M:63,
Y:62, K:100
2. Double-click the gray eyedropper in the dialog and set C:50, M:40,
Y:40, K:10
3. Double-click the white eyedropper in the dialog and set C:5, M:3,
Y:3, K:0

This sets a good "base-point" for CMYK reproduction of photos. You might
want to experiment with these settings for other reproduction methods,
In my experience it's only usually the white that has a very slight
noticeable cast to it with these settings.

Then:

4. Click the white eyedropper and select something that should be "pure
white" in your image.
5. Click the black eyedropper and select something that should be pure
black in your image.

I've found that that handles the vast majority of photos. If things
*still* don't look right, then:

6. Click the gray eyedropper and select something that should be "middle
gray" in your image (i.e. 18% gray).

For the second and subsequent times you use it, you only have to perform
steps 4-6 after selecting Image > Adjust > Curves. PhotoShop will
remember your custom color settings.

While the other "quick" methods do a pretty decent job on lots of
pictures, this one gives you a lot more control, and only takes a few
seconds after you've got it set up. It's far easier than trying to drag
the Curves adjustment curve around. It should also put you almost dead
on the money if you're image is destined for printed media like a
magazine or a book, and I've had very good results with it on my Canon
printer as well.

---
Scott Gomez