[OM] Re: ( OM ) OT mail security.

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT mail security.
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 11:01:58 +1300
Jim Brokaw wrote

> Seems to me you should get in touch with your Post Office's fraud and mail
> theft unit. In the US they are called the Postal Inspectors and they can be
> quite tough about this... since its unknown where your theft occured (I'm
> presuming an international shipment...) they NZ Postal Inspector should
> contact
> the other end as well. Its quite possible this was an 'inside' job, and the
> culprits are probably stealing other stuff as well. There was a local ring
> busted here a while back (Silicon Valley, USA) that was stealing high-value
> shipments from UPS, and they had some insiders in the warehouse flagging the
> cartons while the sorting was going on... stole hundreds of thousands of $$ in
> shipments of disk drives, high-value IC's, etc.

Thanks for the idea Jim.  I might.  But it seems the trail is by now well and
truly cold.  Yes, it was an international shipment, starting in Salem S.C.,
USA.  The thief covered the cut in the seal with a fresh US Post AirMail
sticker, which is a pointer to where the theft took place.  Fresh US postal
stickers would be available only in the USA.

Not insured; I didn't lose a huge lot of $$ in the deal thank goodness.
Probably $30 US; not that I have it to throw around   =|;-(  ..

Thanks for the thought.  Brian, in New Zealand