[OM] Re: Auction Woe

Subject: [OM] Re: Auction Woe
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:47:15 -0800
Jim and Bill have pretty much said it. The item was clearly
misrepresented. There are lots of nice, properly working OM-2n bodies
out there, so unless you got it VERY cheap, there is no point in fussing
with repair yourself, you end up paying too much.

You need to get back to the seller and nicely but firmly say that the
item is not as represented in the listing and he/she must make it right.
Bill's way, giving the seller more than one choice of what will satisfy
you is what I have done too. Sellers 'come from' so many situations and
viewpoints that choice is a good idea if it works for you. I've had
sellers take returns, give a partial refunds and repair an item, all of
which worked for me. I even bought an OM-1 from a repair shop that had
just CLAed it and the asa setting was clearly off. It was pretty clear
that he had just put the top on with the asa dial misaligned, but I
didn't fuss with it myself. He paid postage both ways and fixed it.
(This was NOT John or Clint of the list who made such a mistake!!)

And heed Jim about the 30 days. When I was still rather new to the 'Bay,
I went through a long series of e-mails with a seller of a Zuiko with
problems not noted in the listing. I thought we were negotiating a
settlement, but he was just stringing me along past 30 days, at which
point he blew me off. He did soon disappear, at least under that name,
so likely somebody caught him.

Remember, there are several sorts sellers from whom you can get bad
merchandise, but only a tiny number, in my experience, who are actually
trying to cheat the buyer. But boy, there are a lot of different
personalities and ideas of what various descriptive terms really mean.

I had a long and amusing email exchange with a seller who made the
mistake of selling a CLAed OM-1 that was still in the shop based on the
promised completion date. Of course, the repair guy (again not Clint or
John) kept putting him off, and he kept appologizing to me. In the end,
I got a nice camera and a bonus he sent as an apology.

I also had a body and lens arrive with the mirror broken and lose in the
mirror box. Based on the seller's feedback and the excellent, better
than described, condition of body and lens, I concluded that the mirror
was most likely OK when shipped, but came loose in shipping. (Or maybe I
fired the camera before taking off the lens and it let go then?).
Anyway, I looked into what was entailed in collecting on the USPS
insurance and decided 2 things. First, the hassle and liklihood of
positive outcome were such that it wasn't worth it to me. Second, I
decided that insurance isn't such a great thing.

Moose