[OM] Re: Scanners etc.

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanners etc.
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:29:15 -0500
That's a HUGE question, and one that's probably been asked a bizillion times in
more general, or digital photography forums.  Do a search on Photo.net, Imaging
Resource, or DP Review for some answers.

My brief....very brief recommendations and thoughts.

1. Buy a nice Mac or PC, whatever you're most comfortable with for ~$1,500 with
at least a 19" screen.

2. If you shoot 35mm, one of the star scanners is the CanoScan FS-4000.  There
are also great models from Nikon and Minolta (5400).  Whichever you buy, budget
for a full version of Silverfast software, which will make your life much
easier.  Medium format scanning is harder: cheapest way is a good flatbed with
a transparancy adapter like the new Epson 4800 (~$500?).  MF film scanners are
more, figure $1,500 for something like the Microtek 120.

3. Photoshop is the industry standard and has the most educational, support,
and third party materials.  But other programs are just as capable, like
Picture Window Pro.  Personnaly, I can't see any reason not to buy Photoshop,
unless cash is a big issue.

4. Printing: The Epson or Canon i9xx printers are acknowledged as the best in
the photography business.  I'd get either an Epson 2200, the new, huge 4000, or
the new R800.  The latter two use Epson's lates technology, and all are
pigment-based systems, which means that the prints won't fade under glass for a
long time.

5. Buy Monaco or another color proofing system to profile your monitor.
Profile the scanner too using an IT8 or other standard transparancy (Silverfast
does this very nicely).

Skip