[OM] Re: [OT] glue recommendation?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] glue recommendation?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:57:45 -0800
on 1/21/04 6:37 PM, Mickey  Trageser at Gad-Zuiks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> We've spoken of many glues and adhesives. I need to find a good candidate to
> re-assemble a broken plaster hand print relief. I know I may as well be
> trying to reconstruct a tree from fireplace ash, but it's a sentimental
> thing.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
> -Mickey

Something like 'Duco Cement'?

If I understand you right, you're talking about little bits of hardened
plaster-of-paris, with a handprint pressed into the bits originally.

You don't want anything with water in it as solvent, since that will not go
well with plaster (I think). You want something with some initial 'grab',
but that doesn't set instantly since you might need to align the pieces
after initially touching them together. But you need something that sets
fairly quickly at least enough that you don't have to hold pieces together
while they dry... When the piece is fully reassembled it isn't subject to
any great stress or strain upon it, though.

I think that 'Duco Cement' might fit those kind of requirements... but
probably others will have some good suggestions as well. We have people on
this list who know -something- about -everything-... <g>
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...