[OM] Reply Re: Free OM-to-E-System adapter?!

Subject: [OM] Reply Re: Free OM-to-E-System adapter?!
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:59:41 +1300
Hi all,

Walt wrote

"I'll have to disagree in a major way with the implication that MF
lenses are inferior to 35mm lenses in resolution.  I've got some
of the best of the Zuikos -- 50/2 Macro, 90/2 Macro, 100/2, etc.,
etc. -- and I wouldn't hesitate to cut a 24x36mm piece out of any
6x9cm tranny or negative shot with one of my Zeiss Planars or
Schneider Symmars and compare it head-to-head with an equivalent
Zuiko shot (or any other 35mm lens, for that matter).

Walt, getting defensive about the good stuff."

I think this is the wrong comparison to make.

Supposing you want to compare 35mm and 6x9cm formats; the same
aspect ratios. And let's suppose that with each you frame the subject to use
all the negative, as most of us probably do in order to get the most out of a
35mm frame.

For this example, suppose the 35mm lens and the MF lens in question each
provides a resolution of 60 line-pairs per mm. (this is possible - see my lens
test pages - it was because we had this argument some months ago I put
some MF tests up there).

Take a shot of the same topic with each, and what do you have?
35mm; 36mm x 60 line-pairs =  2,160 line pairs across the long axis of the
frame.
6x9 cm; 90mm x 60 line-pairs =  5,400 line pairs across the long axis of the
frame.

5400/2160 = 2.5. The 6x9 has 2.5 times more detail on one axis.

If you do the calculation on a two-dimensional basis rather than on one
dimension, this is the result.

35mm; 2160 x 1440 =  3,110,400 line-pair squares
6x9cm; 5400 x 3600 =  19,440,000 line-pair squares

or 6.25 times the detail, for the identical subject.

OK, some 35mm lenses can do 100 lppmm and more.
The Zeiss Sonnar 250mm SuperAchromat for Hasselblad can do 250 line
pairs per mm - but that IS exceptional.

See http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0013uk

Scroll down to read what Dr Kornelius J. Fleischer of Zeiss wrote

3-dimensional is trickier =|;->.

Brian