[OM] Re: Vertical format and heavy lenses -- the Manfrotto solution

Subject: [OM] Re: Vertical format and heavy lenses -- the Manfrotto solution
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 13:53:53 -0800
Yup, the 65-116 uses the same tripod mount as the 300/4.5 and the
Bellows allows easy rotation of the camera body. I don't see the problem
there. Using other macro lenses without separate tripod mounts does
require using the tripod to do verticals. I guess I'm fortunate in my
macro lenses and tripod/head combos in that I have had virtually no
rotation problems. Of course, I have no fast, long Zuiko macros, just
the 50/3.5, but the Kiron 105/2.8 is a pretty long, heavy lens because
of the all metal construction and double focusing helicoid to get to 1:1.

Flipping to the right (rewind knob up) can help, as the weight of the
lens is trying to tighten, rather than loosen, the tripod screw, so a
change from the 029 head by itself would be an improvement. The 410 head
has the same potential problem, but that can be solved by redefining
which direction is front in orienting the body on the release plate. The
3047 head flips to the right, rather than left, but has a problem with
high angles. By mounting 'scope or camera pointing 'backwards', high
angles are possible.

Moose