[OM] Re: film development tank

Subject: [OM] Re: film development tank
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:23:06 +1100
Spent years teaching High School kids to use Patersons (not my
choice) - eventually found the trick. They suggest cutting the
corners off the lead - I leave the tongue out and actually round off
the end and cut a very thin 1mm taper on the tip for about 2-3mm (not
too much or it will jump the rails). I found that having done that I
could feed a 24exp film in just by pushing it so long as the reel is
perfectly dry, without the need for the steel balls. I became a
Paterson convert.
Having spent many frustrating sessions watching students hack bags
from the inside with scissors, jam and bend film, attempt to use
reels left damp from a previous class and expect me to retrieve the
disaster without damage, this came as a revelation. (You want to try
and control a class with your hands locked in a dark bag - especially
when you are an 'eyes-closed' loader?)
I trained them to leave the tongue out when rewinding, trim it
properly and lock the tongue into the reel before getting into the
bag, leaving the cassette hanging on the reel. They can then feed
directly from the cassette in the darkbag (never had a scratching
problem).
AndrewF