Re: [OM] Sigma DC lenses for DSLRs, E-1 too?

Subject: Re: [OM] Sigma DC lenses for DSLRs, E-1 too?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:20:01 -0800
Mickey Trageser wrote:

Ok, so I guess 5.6 is ok at the equivalent 80mm? Still slow, I think.

I don't disagree, just pointing out the difference.

Why would Sigma market that lens for Canon when a genuine Canon is already
available in the kit for $100 more with the same spec?

Remember Sigma has a line of film and digital SLRs with their own proprietary mount. These lenses were first released in that mount, not just cooked up for the Can*ns. Also, they can be used on bodies other than the DRebel, like the 10D, which the EF-S cannot.

It might make more sense to market it for the E-1 since Oly isn't marketing a
consumer/enthusiast lens line.

That is, of course, part of the reason for my interest. If the trade-off for speed is good performance and light weight at a very reasonable price, the long one in E mount might be of considerable interest to one hesitant at the long Oly zoom's price. I agree I'd have to think twice about speed in the short one compared to the E-Zuiko.

Moose