Re: [OM] Postings to the group

Subject: Re: [OM] Postings to the group
From: Charles Sdunek <charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:07:44 -0500
Perhaps you could take a series of photographs to show us how it works? I'd be interested.

Charles

Donald MacDonald wrote:

Ah, the famous Falkirk Wheel. It's a boat lift.

Two canals meet in our neighbourhood, the Union Canal and the Forth and Clyde Canal. They fell into disuse during the 20th century, and with the rise of the car they became disjointed as bits were filled in, or bridges lowered, to make way for roads.

As part of the Millenium celebrations the canals have been restored to leisure use, allowing navigation along their full lengths.

Problem at Falkirk was the lack of locks, which had carried boats from the lower Forth and Clyde up to the higher Union. The Falkirk Wheel is the answer. Each trip uses only the equivalent electricity of boiling two kettles, and almost no water is lost.

Boats enter the wheel (top or bottom), which is then rotated (takes about seven minutes), carrying the boat, still afloat, to the other canal, via the basin visible beyond the wheel. In a sense it operates exactly like a system of locks, but more spectacularly. It's actually quite beautiful.

Photo was taken, hand-held, on a 35RD. Ilford Delta 100 @ ISO 100, 1/250 on Auto. Red Hoya filter. Scanned on an Acer Scanwit 2720S at 2700/48-bit high quality. In Photoshop I made a levels layer, darkened the sky to match the negative, then restored the rest of the detail with dodging.

www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/

Thanks for the comments!

D.