Re: [OM] dented filter rings

Subject: Re: [OM] dented filter rings
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:10:42 -0600
On the SLR lenses, very.  They're aluminium.  We use a hardwood stick (oak),
about 1/2" x 3/4" x 4", one end cut round across the wide end, placed
against the offending dent (inside, of course!) and tap-tap-tap (tap, tap,
tap, tap...) with anything from a small X-acto hammer to a wooden mallet.
Patience is the key, but if you go too far, you can always tap it back --
well, almost always!

The threads on the RC and some other compacts are much harder -- chrome
plated brass, I think.  You can whack and whack for days, and end up doing
more damage to the plastic ring that holds the cell than improving the lens
frame, which is indeed what the filter threads are cut into.