Stringpods (Was Re: [OM] Forbidden Shutter Speeds)

Subject: Stringpods (Was Re: [OM] Forbidden Shutter Speeds)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 21:55:26 -0500
At 9:19 AM +0000 1/5/04, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:31:29 +1100
>From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Forbidden Shutter Speeds
>
>Now you mention Mickey I seen to recall Doris crediting someone else with
>it.
>She is a great loss to the list.
>She actually took photos!
>
>Foxy
>
>P.S.
>Here is the original message
>
>On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Clive Warren wrote:
>
> > OK Doris, I'll bite on that one - a stringpod?
> > Straight faced waiting for the sucker punch......
>
>  A stringpod is a device that weighs around 1 oz (or less) and buys one
>about two f/stops in camera steadyness. To make one (I do not know of any
>commercially sold), you buy a wrist strap, the sort that screws into the
>tripod socket. Cut the strap off. Buy about 8 feet of string, I prefer
>dark (green) color, because it will get dirty with use.
>  Make a loop with the string just long enough so that when you hold the
>camera to your eye, you can insert your shoe into the hanging part of the
>loop, with a little tension generated along the string between your foot
>and the camera. It is like a "negative" monopod, but works amazingly well.
>Plus, in places where tripods are taboo, I've never had a problem with the
>stringpod. It's so small, I sometimes forget it's in the camera bag!
>
>                          *= Doris Fang =*

I bet one could use an eyescrew and some parachute cord to make a servicable
string pod.  Parachute cord comes in white and dark green, and can be bought in
outdoor sports stores, and many hardware stores.

Need two nuts on the screw, to prevent screwing it in too deeply (and damaging
the camera) or putting too much bending load on the screw (and thus twisting
load on the camera socket).

Joe Gwinn