Re: [OM] Use photo bag as a weight to stabilize tripod

Subject: Re: [OM] Use photo bag as a weight to stabilize tripod
From: "Gordon J. Ross" <gordross@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:11:00 -0700
Hi Joe:

The eyenut looks good and compact, I wonder if it would be strong enough to
cut a slot in it to slip the strap through or just use a double s hook in
tandem. The Velbon Sherpa 250 by the way is a nice size its tubular alum,
with good leg clamps, geared column, tilt pan head with a well secured quick
release that is cork lined-- http://www.velbon.com.au/sherpa_250.html a lot
lighter and compact than the 'PRO' stuff but more substantial than the
'digital' tripods.

Thanks Gord
From: "Joe Gwinn"
> Gord,
There is also a standard bit of hardware called an "eye nut", which looks
like a metal loop welded to a nut.  I did a Google on " 'eye nut' 1/4-20",
and found for instance <http://www.smithfast.com/regeyenut.htm> where their
part number C-186A will do the job.  There were lots of suppliers listed in
the search results.  They cost about US $5 each.

> These eyenuts are all drop-forged and quite strong, being rated for at
least 500 pounds.  The yield strength will be a factor larger.  If one wants
a hook, I would just take hacksaw and metal file to one, and make it into a
hook.  It will still be more than strong enough to hold any plausible camera
bag.  (Hook nuts do exist, but are both uncommon and commonly too large for
our purpose.)