Re: [OM] Use photo bag as a weight to stabilize tripod

Subject: Re: [OM] Use photo bag as a weight to stabilize tripod
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 13:48:32 -0500
If the objective is to squelch shutter-induced vibrations or the
quakes caused by the lens diaphragm being slammed shut by the
massive force of the little man's hammer inside the OM, weight
applied to the camera/lens combination from above will dampen
these and accomplish the desired result far better than any
tonnage you might be able to hang from below on the tripod.  I use
a 5 lb. bag of #7 lead birdshot.  The shot moves almost like water
inside a nylon sack filled to about 2/3 capacity and flows into
the nooks and crannies of the camera and lens and absorbs and
deadens those evil percussive emanations far better than hanging
even a dozen of brick from below could ever do.

I'll tell y'all about the use of Sorbothane another day.

Walt

GUNPOWDER, n. An agency employed by civilized nations for the
settlement of disputes which might become troublesome if left
unadjusted.  --Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary