Re: [OM] studio light recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] studio light recommendations
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 11:07:35 -0700
At 07:47 PM 1/1/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>I am in the early stages of planning out a simple studio light setup, and I'm
>hopeful someone on the list can help.  I would like to keep the costs fairly
>low, and it will be a two light setup to begin with.
>
>Are there any good websites, or a particular brand that offers a good bang for
>the buck?

If you wanna stick with Olympus OM equipment to control the light output, using
a couple of T32s bounced into umbrellas on lightweight Bogen/Manfrotto light
stands is the setup I use, and it's worked very well for me.  To vary the light
output ratios between the two T32s, simply move one umbrella further from or
closer to the subject -- the OM will quench both of the T32s at the same time,
so altering distances is the way to achieve 2:1, 3:1 or other light ratios.

Garth

P.S.:  If you want something more "fiddly" (and less expensive), I also use
Vivitar 283s with the VP-1 Varipower module plugged in, and do test fires with
a flashmeter (I use a Minolta Flashmeter V, but any one will work, of course).

My pro photog buddy has all the bells and whistles, but he's long told me that
what I've got is more than adequate for home studio use.  I trust his judgment.