Re: [OM] Vivitar 35-105/f3.5 vs. Zuiko 135/f2.8, Macro 50/f3.5, 28/f3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 35-105/f3.5 vs. Zuiko 135/f2.8, Macro 50/f3.5, 28/f3.5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 23:30:32 -0800
Long, tough set of questions. I don't suppose that all that many of us have the Viv 35-105 lens. I don't, so I can't compare it to anything. The Zuiko 35-105 is almost certainly less sharp at 50mm than the 50/3.5 and, as you say, how does one compare 28 to 35mm and 105 to 135mm? On the other hand, the 35-105 Zuiko is sharp enough for any but the most demanding work, certainly more than enough for touristing.

As to the more answerable question, I try to taylor my kit to the situation. If I'm on my own and not pressed for time, I'll take primes and/or specialty lenses, depending on what I expect to be shooting. When traveling with others, I tend to take zooms. A shot taken with a zoom is definitely better than one not taken at all. And with a good zoom, likely very good. So many things go into final image quality besides the lens, like focus, DOF, camera and subject movement, etc. Also, why limit yourself to a slowish 35-105. The Kiron 35-135 that George is selling is likely as good or better and gives more reach. The Tokina 35-200/3.5-4.5 is a favorite of mine, good range, good images and pretty good close focus. The Tamron SP 35-210/3.5-4.2 is nice too, but a bit bigger and heavier. The Tamron ASP 28-200/3.8-5.6 has a bit more linear distortion and probably isn't quite as sharp, but is sure small and light with great focal length range. So touristing on a bright day and/or with fast film and I would choose one of those and maybe take the Vivitar 19-35/3.5-4.5 or a single real wide angle. Not many shots missed with that kind of coverage with virtually no lens changing.

Dark day or clouds on the horizon might mean the Tokina AT-X 28-40/2.8 and 60-120/2.8, or maybe just the Tamron ASP 35-105/2.8 for simplicity, with likely a 50/1.4 in a pocket.

Also, the Vivitar 2x-21 is a pretty minimal 4 element telextender. A 7 element name brand extender or the Oly 2xA will give better quality results. If you like close-ups, a 50/1.4 and Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing Teleconverter is more versatile for travel than the 50/3.5, giving speed at 50mm and a 100/2.8 macro that goes directly to 1:1. Not as flat field, but that usually doesn't matter for travel stuff. Even a 50/1.8 becomes a 100/3.6, as fast as the 50/3.5 and with better working distance.

Moose

Nils Frohberg wrote:

how  does  the zoom  compare  to  the  lenses, apart from  the  obvious
advantages/disadvantages (135  over 105, 35-105 over  28:50:135, 28 over
35, 2.8 over 3.5, size, aso., aso..).

how do you change lenses in the  field? (i.e., not having all day like i
usually do :P)

Seldom and carefully