Re: [OM] e-bay reputation

Subject: Re: [OM] e-bay reputation
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:45:28 -0500
Welcome to the list Gord! Sounds like you have a nice selection of equipment to use.

I have grown quite fond of my 24mm /2.8 and also frequent my 35-70/3.5-4.5. I can't afford the 90mm Zuiko but found a 90mm Tamron before I knew of it's reputation. I only carry those three lenses on a regular basis.

I am quizzical, my ebay tag is wildcalgary,

One thing I suggest is that you use a code or condensed name for eb*y. Once upon a time, I compiled a list of user names of list members who used that auction site. It was so we could confidently bid with individuals who used names unfamiliar to us on that site. I had another list member post the user names on his website. Wouldn't you know that eb*y kicked me out! It was only after a number of list members wrote letters in my behalf that I was reinstated. Since then, many of us have been wary of using the name, to keep the wandering bots from locating us.

The same code works well when avoiding searches for N*k*n or C*n*n, or to avoid uns*bscribing from the Olympus list.

> One thing I am certain is that there is no scamming this list easlily. And I
> say that with respect, I am not sure of your protocols yet but I have an
> inquiry about ebay or a certain seller. Is there someone familiar with ebay
> that I can discuss this with? Or do you all let it hang on list for all to
> see? There isn't a problem but I am getting the cautious feeling. Anyone
> want to chat with me about it?
>
> Thanks Gord
You will learn to respect the knowledge base of this list even more with time. Almost any topic brings some knowledgeable individual out of the woodwork.

The protocol is to ask away, and also warn the list of any impropriety on a listing you may discover. If you have an OM item for sale, announce it to the list before advertising it on eb*y rather than announcing the auction.

We often stray from on topic threads. I have a theory that we have discussed everything so many times, along with web sites and the archive that cober almost anything you may want to know about OM, that we like to just sit and chat. Sometimes we even get back on topic. :-)

You won't have as much trouble remembering as some of us, that this is an international list, and that not all share the same thoughts on a particular topic. We have to tread especially lightly because the same idioms are not used worldwide in speaking English, and we are devoid of body language or friendly tone of voice when typing.

Oh yes, there is still available I believe, a most useful CD called the esif - the Unofficial Olympus Sales Information File (that you can purchase from a list member) to answer many questions you may have about the OM line.

gregg