[OM] Re: tripods & QR plates

Subject: [OM] Re: tripods & QR plates
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:35:22 +1300
Mike replied

> >........ I'm sold on the Arca Swiss style quick release.
> >
> I never have figured out the attraction of the so-called quick release
> plates. Why would you want to buy expensive chunks of metal with which
> to burden your cameras or lenses? And if you don't have/can't afford one
> on every piece of equipment they are harder to swap than just mounting
> directly.
>
> my 2 pesos
> Mike
For my money, the quick release plates on the Bogen/Manfrotto 3-way head
I have is a great time saver. Having 2 of them, I can swap cameras on the
same tripod setting. It is easy and very quick to take a camera off to stow,
and re-mount when needed.

Putting the plate on the camera is a faster operation for me than putting a
camera on a bare tripod head.

The only proviso I have is that the older style Manfrotto QR plates do not give
such a secure first grip on the head as later models. The one on my
telephoto lens support has a quick double action that is very secure.

With my 2 earlier models, from experience, I find it necessary to firmly test
that the QR plate really IS attached to the tripod head. Once on, fine.
Cameras have been known to fall when I thought they were securely fastened.

Brian