Re: [OM] Epson printers - cart. change.

Subject: Re: [OM] Epson printers - cart. change.
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:19:14 +1100
That worked. Thanks. The only Epson Stylus I've used before was a 600 and that was much trickier. As the chip reports on what the individual cartridge has done, there should be no problem. I also taped over the vent holes on the old carts, before any suggests that. As to what might be more sensible - I borrowed it on their condition that I use my own carts. This is a school admin. I'm dealing with here. Sensible is not an option.
AndrewF

On my 1270, when you raise the top, there is a big yellow button above the other controls that aren't covered by the cover. Push the button and the cartridges move into position for changing. I have never tried a mid-cartridge change and don't know what consequences there may be. The cartridges have a microchip that reports remaining ink to the printer (based on no. of squirts used) and I don't know if it will be confused by such a process. There is a 3rd party program for PCs (at least most of them) that can be used to reset and otherwise manipulate the chips. So if you do confuse the chips, someone with a PC will have to fix it.

Sure you aren't better off just using their ink and either replacing the carts if they run dry or just giving them the new ones when you are done?

Moose

andrew fildes wrote:

Anyone know how to go about changing the cartridges on a big Epson? Borrowed my school's 1290 for the hols and promised I'd use my own carts of course. I normally use a Canon S900 which offers them up every time you open the lid but this big beast is much more coy about it - if the chip doesn't say empty, it don't wanna. Is there a workaround to this? (Note - if suggesting software - I'm on a Mac).