Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:09:41 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike" <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 9:01 PM
Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns

> Can't be more convoluted than Canadian parties. I'll give you a synopsis
> since I am an unbiased observer from a foreign country ;>) Let's see,
> The Liberals aren't liberal, at least not in BC. The Alliance wasn't
> allied until this week and now they are just confused. The Progressives
> are about the opposite of progressive, even more so if they ally with
> the Alliance.  That leaves the NDP, definitely not "new" anything.
> Anyone hear from them lately?

Not too bad, but you've left out a couple of the more amusing parts of this
whole dance.

We had the conservatives, they merged with the progressives to form the
progressive conservatives (many years ago, not sure when). The Reform party
was a much more recent addition to the political scene. Around 5-6 years ago
they became the Canadian Reform Alliance Party which was quickly renamed to
the Canadian Alliance when they realized that calling their party the CRAP
probably wouldn't garner much political support.

The first leader of the Alliance was Stockwell Day. Part of his political
platform was that Canadian politics should reflect the views of the people
more and that if enough people would support an idea that it should be put
to a referendum. The humourous outcome of this was that the sattirical show
"This Hour Has 22 Minutes" was actually able to collect enough names
supporting that Stockwell Day should legally change his first name to Doris.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/