Re: SD-10, was [OM] Digital Cameras -OT comment

Subject: Re: SD-10, was [OM] Digital Cameras -OT comment
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:03:53 -0800
At 02:37 PM 12/9/2003 +0000, Ian Nichols wrote:
If I were thinking of replacing my E10, or buying a first DSLR, I think I'd be very tempted by Sigma's SD10 right now - despite the relatively low pixel count.

There are a couple rabid SD-9/10 proponents on rec.photo.equipment.35mm for the last couple months. One of them keeps bantering about 10 millions pixels and that the normal Bayer sensors is only 1/3 resolution as they would seem. Unfortunately, he certainly convinced ME that the Foveon are not ready for prime times with jaggies and bad color rendition!!

It has that lovely Foveon chip, uses the 3:2 aspect ratio that we all know & love, has mirror lock-up and interchangeable lenses. Actually, that last bit is the potentially limiting factor since they're all Sigmas, which are not that bad really, but the range is therefore limited to one manufacturer, and one that's better known as a "third party" lens producer.

Oh yes, and it still uses AA batteries.

If they had a 6MP version (i.e 3000x2000 pixels) I think I'd even order one.

Whilst on the subject: does anyone else think that Sigma perhaps ought to embrace the 4/3 format? It would open up their camera bodies to at least one other maker's lenses, and allow them to be the first independent lens maker to supply lenses for the only digital-specific standard. That might not mean much right now, but if it thrives, there's an expanding market to get into and it won't thrive with only one manufacturer using it.