Re: [OM] Re: Different way of seeing...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Different way of seeing...
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:43:59 -0500
Lawrence:

Yes, you are putting words in my mouth, but they are the ones I would use if I
had been more loquacious.

As I stated (or alluded to) earlier, I want to SEE with my very own eyes,
completely digital B&W prints before I take any conclusions.  While the input
of others on such a knowledgeable forum is valueable guidance, there are lots
of variables and only I can make my own decision for my own needs and tastes.
Having professionally printed repro-grade optical prints in the past, I know
exactly what I want to see.

I too am a techie... network engineering, so I have "touched"  a computer or
two, both local and remote, in my time.  I have no fear of PS processing, etc.
As you indicated, there is something far more "primal" (photographically
speaking) involved here.

Another issue is archival print quality.  With wet darkroom methods and
materials, one can produce prints of archival fairly easily and inexpensively.
My understanding is that the equipment and inks for archival digital prints is
not a throwaway purchase... maybe I am wrong.  I strongly doubt that walking
into Costco and coming out with an archival print for $2.99 is possible.
Again, someone correct me if I am wrong.  And no, I don't want to start up the
digital vs. film storage/archiving debate!

Earl