Re: [OM] E-1 4/3 - totally off the wall observations

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 4/3 - totally off the wall observations
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:59:39 -0800
on 12/6/03 4:55 AM, Wayne Culberson at waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Speaking of off the wall, how about on the wall? While 5 MPs might be enough
> for a 11x14 print, does anyone know how many it will take to put a decent
> picture on a large screen wall hung TV, as that seems to be the only
> sensible step for group viewing once we abandon slide film and slide
> projectors. I have no idea how many it would take, maybe the present
> offerings are fine.
> Wayne

Most TV's have not so great resolution. The bigger screens have bigger
pixels, so the end result won't be quite the same as projecting slides. But
the giant-megabucks-plasma-flat-hang-on-the-wall-thin-as-your-wallet TV's
that I am familar with (only by reading about them...) are something like
1024 x 768 resolution, similar to your computer monitor. This is much higher
than a standard TV, which might be something like 400 x 310 equivalent.

There are also the video projectors, most commonly now used in business
presentations, but those are also typically 1024 x 769 or the next higher
'notch'.

Either could be used to make a presentation to a group and a 42" plasma
monitor isn't that much different in size than a 35mm slide projected 3 feet
wide. It won't look nearly as good, but the convenience of showing images in
daylight, and not having to set up a projector, etc. will probably win out
anyway.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...