Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: ( OM ) OT OT Mike Moore OT OT and guns
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:24:44 -0500
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:01:00 -0800

>One good indication that it's American culture in general, not
>our guns: the last time I looked, the U.S. rate of murders
>committed without weapons, e.g. just plain beating people to
>death unarmed, or throwing them off of buildings, was as high as
>the total murder rate in many countries. If you eliminated every
>murder committed with a weapon, our murder rate would still have
>been higher. Whatever its other faults, the NRA has one thing
right -- people kill people.

Well put, Joshua.

At the risk of being attacked for being politically incorrect --
like I really give half a rat's ass -- let me inform the
uninformed that more than half the violent crime in the United
States is committed by less than 20f the population, and that 2%
is readily identifiable by age and ethnicity.

Those who don't live here have no business telling us how to
behave.  We're doing pretty well on our own, thank you.  If you're
not careful, you may be the next to be invaded.  :-)

And if I'm paranoid because I have a gun, then I suppose people
who have spare tires or first-aid kits in their cars are too.

Walt

"...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know
we know.  We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say,
we know there are some things we do not know.  But there are also
unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know." -- Donald
Rumsfeld