[OM] Now MD's, was Let the rat leave ... ship!

Subject: [OM] Now MD's, was Let the rat leave ... ship!
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:56:30 -0500
At 06:37 PM 12/3/2003, you wrote:
>MD1 rips film off? Neither one of mine does.
>
>Jim Couch

OK, modify that to: "sometimes" rips the film off if you catch the end
just right. That was the reason I got rid of mine. But I have to admit,
the MD1 is smaller than the MD2, nice, and fewer electrical
dependencies to malfunction. And maybe it has to be Kodak film. I have
found the MD's to be a bit unpredictable at times, between the control
pack, the body contacts and the in camera interlock switches, there are
quite a few electrical contacts that can cause problems. Probably the
sequence switch on the bottom of the control pack has given me the most
grief, especially if not re-assembled correctly. I always waste a few
shots just to make sure everything is working. The MD2 will auto
advance the film after loading if the sequence switch is on, and if
those switches mess up, it will tend to fire off randomly in the middle
of the film. A good test is to jar the camera a bit on the butt of you
hand just to make sure. If you get random firings with that test, there
is probably a loose switch or something. Nothing more annoying than a
bump to the camera firing off a shot or two. Hence some bodies
work better than others with the MD2. I like to manually advance the
film when I load it, checking that the rewind spool turns. When the MD2
is all working, though, it feels nice.

Wayne