Re: [OM] Digital v OM, lubricants for OM-2S, Cheap Zooms

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital v OM, lubricants for OM-2S, Cheap Zooms
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 00:00:24 EST
In a message dated 12/1/2003 10:32:35 PM Central Standard Time,
stacey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I've recently become a dad
and now I want to do "environmental portrature" (as they say) of a
high-speed toddler so I'm considering buying a zoom lens
I can't address the issue of the proper lens fromthe standpoint of a father,
however as the grandfather of 1 year old and 3 year old I can tell you what
works for me.  My choice is either the 85mm f2 (1st choice) or 100mm f2.8 (2nd
choice) and I let my legs do the zooming. Both of these are sharp and bright
lenses and I don't have to mess with zooming to get what I want.  Two saturdays
ago I took the grandsons and their parents to the park for some pictures to
put on their Christmas cards.  I used the 85mm f2 for individual, head and
shoulder, full length and group shots.  So if you want something to use while
trying to keep up with the kids, I'd say a short, fast telephoto. If you want a
zoom in the price range you suggested, you might look at the 75-150mm or if you
want the shorter end, one that is worth looking at is the Tokina AT-X 28-85mm
(be sure its the AT-X version). My two cents worth. by the way, the 35-70mm
zoom you inquired about is probably the least desirable of the 4 make or
marketed
by Olympus.  Bill Barber