[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4447

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4447
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:04:04 -0800
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:35:03 -0500
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] digital poll

Still no decision here.

Skip,

I read the extensive E-1 threads over on dpreview.com with interest, trying to convince myself that the 5mgpx will be enought for up to 11x14. I also find the allure of a 2-3 lens kit to be very appealing.

5 mgpx is enough for 11X14, easily. FWIW, Pictopia in Emeryville, CA that could easily do larger enlargements than that with their proprietary upsampling algorithms. We print 16X20 and larger from our 1D's with them and the prints look beautiful. You can FTP images to them and they will drop ship your prints.

The immediate future prospects of a D100 and 10D successor with larger pixel counts is also heavy on my mind, as is the E-1 story 12 months hence, when there is another model or two to complement the E-1, perhaps with a higher pixel count?

I think the 10D replacement will likely be around 8 megapixels, possibly full-frame sensor. My hypothesis for the 1D replacement will be a 6 megapixel full-frame sensor.

I read about the 10D and D100 users moving to the E-1 and being very pleased, with effectively no difference between the two cameras, except that the E-1 is lighter, has better lenses, and produces images with less workflow.

When you say better lenses, I take it you are referring to the fact they are desinged for the ground up for digital/sensor, right? Those C*n*n lenses are superb, too. IMHO, the C*n*n 70-200/2.8 L is one the best lenses anyone has ever made, anytime, anywhere.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!