Re: [OM] ( OM ) Gold OM2n you know where

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Gold OM2n you know where
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:37:14 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Olaf Greve wrote:

> Be careful when buying this 2n, it might be a fake (or does someone else
> know for sure that it is an official release?)!

That would be my first impression. Besides there are no known reference of
official golden OM-2's, and there are some peculiarities of this body which
point to a non-factory produced body.  If you look closely at the top cover
you'll notice that the fittings around the ASA dial and the rewind knob are
also golden.  Usually these parts are black or chrome, not gold.  It's
difficult to remove these fittings without the proper tools, which usually
only the factory and service centres have. Since these parts have been plated
along with the rest of the top, that would indicate to me that it's a
non-factory job.

There may be some truth in his story about the history.  Some Olympus
distributor (Germany perhaps) may have produced it to give to certain
employees.  Just like Olympus in the Netherlands did for the golden OM-1n,
and Olympus America did for the Maitani back.  None of these are official
Olympus Japan products and were never produced as part of the Olympus line.
Whether you consider such a product to be an official release and a collectible
item is up to you.  At $3500 I know what my decision is :-)
                                -mark