Re: [OM] Re: OT Wildlife in Houses and Stomachs

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT Wildlife in Houses and Stomachs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:07:43 -0800
Nice pics. My Audobon Mammals guide says those are European rabbits intentionally introduced to San Juan Is. to provide a game rabbit bigger than the cottontail. It also says the 'possum ranges all along the west coast of NA from S. BC to the top of Baja. Doesn't say how they got there, though. Lots of cottontails in the parks near here and I've seen some other larger rabbits somewhere around, but don't know what they are. The ones that really impressed me were the jackrabbits I saw fairly close-up out at Pt. Reyes. It was too late in the day to get photos, sun almost down, but they were fairly easy to see close-up through the 8x40s. The fur was amazing, with all kinds of subtle highlights of a wide range of colors. Great eyes too. Big guys, I think the same species as in Gary's pic.

Moose

Mike wrote:

Around here we are known for being over run with rabbits. At least we
were, not as many now but still plenty. In my poor student days we ate
our share. Tough little buggers but not bad.  What was worse were the
hunters. They even shot the side of my truck once as I drove by.  And to
get back to topic here's a couple pics. OM4t, 300/4.5 +2xa, monopod or
hand braced.