[OM] ( OM ) TOPE categories, especially new ones

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) TOPE categories, especially new ones
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:25:00 +1300
Hi all,

Somebody in the last 12 hours suggested we have rather wide TOPE
categories / topics.

A criticism I have of some of the categories we have already run, is that the
exercise  resulted sometimes in such a wide interpretation of the topic (I'm
not sure I have expressed myself well there - and perhaps I mean that the
heading permitted this), that each exhibition had little unity.  The
architecture
exhibition is the clearest example of this, and of course the B&W exhibition
is a classic illustration, since there was not TOPIC set, but a METHOD. It
could have been Zuiko lenses limited by a pinhole filter, and would have
made just as much sense as a topic.  A method needs to be limited by a
prescribed topic as well.

If we had a few TOPEs with subjects such as Manhole covers (Doro !!),
fences, gates, doors, beaches, puddles, hands, outdoor markets, sunsets,
and bark of trees, we would have themed exhibitions with a unity that might
encourage even more development of technique to make each image stand
out from the crowd..

It's fun as well to have TOPEs that are capable of wide interpretation, but I
for
one would appreciate a few tightly defined topics.

Brian