[OM] Mirror Lockup in an OM-G?

Subject: [OM] Mirror Lockup in an OM-G?
From: Regan Conley <reganconley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:02:59 -0500
Hey ya'll. I'm back from my trip to Peru and I think I got some good shots while there (and a LOT of junk, too). It'll be a while before I get the slides scanned and am able to put any up for viewing.

However, while I was on my trip I had a little camera incident. I was in the middle of shooting a roll of film and suddenly the mirror locked up. I dug around on the internet a bit for some causes and solutions and the most obvious thing seemed to be grease on the magnet. I was a rather peeved at this idea since I'd just had the camera in for CLA. At any rate, I managed to get the bottom off with imperfect tools (never travel without a Swiss Army Knife). I released the mirror, but everytime I tripped the shutter it would lock again. Having reached the end of my camera repair abilities, I put the thing back together, and, just for good measure, put some new batteries in. Voila. Problem solved.

However, the OM-G is a fully manual camera. The camera works just fine in "off" mode. I know that the OM-2 can have this mirror lockup problem with dead batteries, but I didn't think it affected any other OMs. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Any clues as to what was happening?