Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 first impressions
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 11:59:02 -0500

Actually, don't parallel rays emerge from a point REALLY far away? :-)

Assuming Euclidean geometry.

No. If you assume Euclidean geometry they never merge, but always remain parallel - a set distance apart. At the time they didn't even draw with perspective. Euclid never believed in 0 (and the opposite, infinity) and actually had a Euclidean society member "walk the plank" and drown for showing that 0 does exist.

For some fascinating reading, try "Zero, The Biography of a Dangerous Idea" by Charles Seife and "To Infinity and Beyond, A Cultural History of the Infinite" by Eli Maor. They give interesting insights into the cultural biases of numbers and how we got to where we are today with our understanding of something as "simple" as the number 0. Good reading even if you really don't thrive on math.

gregg

Andrew