Re: [OM] CDs, LPs, lenses, etc (was Zuiko lenses on Digital Rebel)

Subject: Re: [OM] CDs, LPs, lenses, etc (was Zuiko lenses on Digital Rebel)
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 12:29:08 -0500
Perhaps as proof that I am a bit weird, I have always thought of
the difference between analog and digital audio in terms of
furniture.  I compare my vinyl albums to old, well-crafted solid
wood furniture, with dovetail joints, smooth-finished surfaces and
rounded edges, maybe even with a scratch or ding or two, but with
drawers and doors that open and close smoothly and effortlessly.

Some CDs, on the other hand, I think of as unfinished furniture,
particle board in unseen places, with rough surfaces on cheap wood
veneer with lots of little splinters sticking up in need of some
fine sandpaper or steel wood to knock them down, sharp edges and
corners, ill-fitting and loose joints, balky drawers and sticky
doors.

I have a pretty decent digital setup, a Philips 1000 SACD player,
but for some of the more egregiously "unfinished" CDs, a
widdershins twist of a knob on the preamp redirects the input to
the output of a decade-old Meridian 563 D/A converter connected to
the digital output of the Philips.  I think of the Meridian as my
CD furniture finisher, because it at least rounds off the sharp
corners, sands the surfaces a bit, and maybe sometimes even lays
on a thin coat or shellac.  The doors and drawers, though, still
need work on a lot of digital recordings.

Why should I think of digital cameras any differently?  They all
seem to have splinters, rough edges, and the doors and drawers
still just don?t seem to fit right.

Maybe someday.

Walt, sitting on a 62-year-old analog butt in a 75-year-old solid
oak analog chair.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.