[OM] CDs, LPs, lenses, etc (was Zuiko lenses on Digital Rebel)

Subject: [OM] CDs, LPs, lenses, etc (was Zuiko lenses on Digital Rebel)
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 09:54:44 -0500
Doro schrieb:

> And I get enough live music, I can tell you :))

I bet. :-)

> I heard one argument once that I found especially interesting. Even if
> people don't consciously recognize the difference between an analog or
> digital recording, they get tired listening to it much sooner.

Now that's interesting, and I think it's true. I suspect that for all the
work that goes into delivering high frequency performance, people actually
find it easier on the ears if this is muted a bit. This may be true of
spatial frequencies as well - a well-executed soft image can be easier on
the eyes than sharp. High frequencies engage our attention and incline us to
listen hard (or look). Of course, often this is a good thing - to pay
attention and engage the brain at the expense of restfulness. I wouldn't
like to lose either option.

Come to think of it, sonic "warmth" and image "warmth" have a similar feel
also.

Andrew