Re: [OM] [OT] Re: beer, mighty beer and Budweiser also

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Re: beer, mighty beer and Budweiser also
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:58:37 -0400
When I lived in St. Petersburg for 4 months I had some time to sample some Russian beer. Mostly, we drank Baltica which came in a number of varieties (1-8). 1 and 2 were apparently very watered down and undrinkable (so probably similar to mass-market american beer). 3 was a decent lager. 4 was darker (a porter) and 5 was darker still. I can't remember what 6 was, it may have been the non-alcoholic version (produced mainly for advertising purposes so you could advertise that beer where ads for alcohol weren't allowed). 7 was the export version, pretty similar to 3, the primary difference being that it came in cans or 5L mini-keg form (All of the others were 500ml bottles). 8 was a fairly new variety that had come out shortly before I was there (1998). It was an amber ale that tasted slightly stronger than 3 but was something like 8 or 9% alcohol. At the time they seemed pretty drinkable but I wasn't as sophisticated a beer drinker at that time. I've since give up alcohol for health reasons though.

The other beer I remember enjoying was one I had at a football (soccer) match on Victory Day. I believe it was called Peterhof. Came in a can, 6.7% alcohol, decent lager.