[OM] BD in somalia

Subject: [OM] BD in somalia
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:37:05 -0600
B.D.

Stunning images. Looks a lot like some of the photoessays in Lenswork. It is
sad that the negatives are "lost."

On the subject of durability, my experience as a working pro is that some
people are hard on cameras and some are not. I've known some that could take
a new camera to a Sunday tea, and come back with it totally trashed. I've
known others that shot day in and day out under extreme conditions, and the
cameras only took on a patina. One photographer I know, a Canon endorser,
destroyed his Nikons. When he signed on with Canon, he became another
person. The cameras he paid for he trashed, the free ones? You get it.
Perfect.

Once, I was shooting in an aircraft cabin, actually a partial cabin test
article. As there was no floor, it was like walking in your attic, trying
not to fall through the ceiling. I slipped, and, given the choice of falling
and breaking some part of my body, or dropping the RB67 and grabbing onto
something, I dropped the camera in a heartbeat. Of course, my opinion of the
RB may have come into play.

I still have my original Nikon F's, and two of my original OM's, and outside
of the usual brassing and some VERY small dings, they look pretty good. My
'blads that have spent enought time shooting in oil refineries to qualify
for membership in OEPC look pretty darn good, too. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Like I say, it's as much the photographer as the camera.

Bill Pearce