[OM] E-1 accolades vs. 10D on dpreview.com

Subject: [OM] E-1 accolades vs. 10D on dpreview.com
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:15:45 -0500
This is an interesting posting on the E-1, with a direct stab at the 10D as the
photographer has extensive experience with both cameras.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=6572617

I'll cc: the text below:

Forum    Olympus SLR Talk
Subject    E-1 is not a good camera......
Posted by    Marky boy  [CLICK FOR PROFILE]
Date/Time    1:34:21 PM, Wednesday, November 05, 2003

It is a great camera!!!

I have been using this camera since Friday, have shot in xs of 500 frames and I
have to say, the more I use it, the more I like it a lot.

It is so very easy to use, the handling is intuative it has such a great many
features, that I love, these are in not any particualr order:-

1. The images are very non digital looking if that makes sense, I always felt
the 10d images were just too smooth and well just lacking that film feel - any
of my friends could spot the 10d images a mile off - the images straight from
the e-1 are fantastic, I have printed them now to 36x24 and they just look
great, no artifacts, and very film like in reproduction. Using the CS2 setting
for landscapes gives a very fuji velvia 50 iso feel to it (the new 100 iso is
less so) and I love it!! The canon image needs a lot of post processing to get
even close - I don't really care the potential kicking off from the canon
owners with e-1 phobia - it is my opinion based on my experiences with BOTH
cameras.

Can I again just say that this camera had to be good for me to keep it. I have
a heavy investment in Canon glass, I also own a 300d, if the E-1 was no good, I
would send it back - period. I am not on Olympus payroll as someone suggested,
I am a professional who loves his job, who is only interested in image quality
and is delighted when something new comes along that makes his job and workflow
easier!!!

2. The focus of the camera has been bang on every time. I have had some
back/front focussing problems with my 10d depending on lens used -can i say
that the autofocus on the e-1 is simply superb.

3. 12 frame buffer and 3 fps - great for candid wedding work.

4. True spot metering - nuff said about that........ LOL

5. The ultrasonic sensor cleaning - what a great inovation, I am cheesed off
with having to spend stupid amounts of time re-touching wedding shots on the
10d due to dust on the sensor - thank you Olympus!!

6. Great handling - things like the custom WB are immediately available by
pressing ONE button. You can ccustom set the dials to do either apperture or
shutter speed in which ever configuration you want - a small thing, but
sometimes it is the small aspects that count.

7. The viewfinder gives 100 0.000000OV.

8. It is a dream to use in the studio with 1/250 sec sync speed (before any
anti e-1ners jump on me - I know the spec says 1/180, but I have used it at
1/250 without problems). Setting the exposure with a sekonic L508 it exposed
perfectly every time with NO post processing required - I can forsee some extra
free time for me coming up!!

There are many more - I love this camera - I bought it thinking I would be
sending it back within the 7-day period, not a chance - it will become the main
use camera for me with the 10d becoming the back up to the E-1. I know I will
get flamed by the canon people for that remark - but no one can tell me what my
own preferences are and the E-1 has won me over.

Whats bad:-

The auto WB does get fooled sometimes in low light, the noise above 800 iso
should be better - maybe a firmware update may improve that although it is not
really an issue. My microdrives are too tight in the card slot and I wish that
there were image stabilising lenses available.

Oh - did I say I liked it!!!

This will be my last E-1 post for a while as my workload over the next few
weeks is horrendus to say the least.

If you are serious about an E-1 - try it, use it, shoot different things, under
different lighting and make up your own mind - and keep an open mind. A lot of
people running it down have never tried it or are frightened it might actually
be quite good!!!

If anyone has specific questions about my experiences with the e-1, please
e-mail me direct.

Thanks again to those who have a genuine interest in taking good photographs.

Mark
http://www.shadowphotography.co.uk