[OM] OT Beers, was Volvo sucess story #317

Subject: [OM] OT Beers, was Volvo sucess story #317
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:11:38 +0000
Sorry to disappoint you Boris, but it tastes pretty useless wherever you buy it - unless you are hot and need a cold drink. The stuff that you find in the Czech Republic is the original stuff, full strength and full taste, untainted by Anheuser and his chum. The fad over here for drinking mass-produced yellow beer is just that, it will pass. When I and my fellow staff on the Squadron go to the pub for a beer with our students, we drink the chewy beer, they drink garrrrbage like Carling or Grolsch (see below).

You might be interested to know that when a British mass producer of beer (I hesitate to use the term "brewer" for the big boys) makes some lovely German or Dutch beer under licence, they manage to put the taste of profit in, displacing the original taste and strength. Although I have tins of Grolsch and Stella Artois in my house, I drink it because I am thirsty in the evening (and I have had enough tea... ;-)), not because it is something to savour.

Chris