[OM] OM Aperture Induced Vibration Question

Subject: [OM] OM Aperture Induced Vibration Question
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:23:03 -0700
Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I got into an email discussion with a guy who writes books on one of those other camera brands and mentioned Gary Reese's discovery that the same OM lens on an OM1 with mirror lockup tested significantly less sharp than an OM4T with the self timer which flips the mirror and closes the aperture at the beginning of the timer cycle. I was wondering whether the cameras he wrote about did an early aperture shut down too. He said he did not know, but that would be easy to test. Just do one shot wide open when aperture shut down does not function and one shot at f16, say.

That astounded me and I went back to Gary's lens test page and sure enough the differences occurred even wide open. I know Gary was very careful in doing his tests, so I was wondering what other mechanism could be causing the softer results with the OM1. Maybe Olympus did some shutter refinements that damped things better when they designed the OM4? Or is it the aperture activation lever inside the camera itself? Less of a problem perhaps on an electronically activated aperture?

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA