[OM] A Trip to the Reef

Subject: [OM] A Trip to the Reef
From: "John Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:27:38 +1000
G'day Zuiks,

My wife Helen and I just got back from ten days in Cairns, FNQ (that's Far
North Queensland,Oz) where we did all the touristy stuff including spending
time out on the outer reef (the Great Barrier Reef, that is). They have
these semi-submersible boats where you can sit down behind glass several
metres below the surface and enjoy the passing panorama of sea, fish, and
coral etc. I had my OM's and Epic with me and tried to capture some
underwater images. Less than satisfactory with the results being very murky.
When shooting through the glass I used a polariser which seemed to banish
reflections but I found that the prints bore only a passing resemblence to
what we'd actually seen.

In addition I tried SCUBA for the first time with an el-cheapo P&S (with
flash) that they provide and got images which were useful in that they
actually proved to relatives and friends that this sixty seven year old had
done it but were less than thrilling to view.

I can't recall having seen much about underwater photography with OM's on
the list and would  really appreciate any input.

John (who's off to buy a snorkel and flippers)
Sydney, Oz.