Re: [OM] Fang? We'll see when it gets here

Subject: Re: [OM] Fang? We'll see when it gets here
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:51:25 -0700
on 10/13/03 4:32 PM, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Fernando wrote
>>
>> A few days ago I found a 100/2 with some deep scratches on its front
>> element. It seemed that El Zorro had left his mark there, I had the faint
>> impression it had been done on purpose. Or was it me that felt so angry?
>> Anyway, the man was asking about USD 125 for it and besides the aperture
>> ring needed service since changing from /2 to /2.8 wasn't smooth at all.
>> I thought he was crazy, but perhaps it's worth its asking price 'though it
>> has no caps nor case. OTOH I'm very reluctant to buy it even at half its
>> asking price....
>> Fernando
>
> The local over-the counter price for a 2nd hand Zuiko 100/2.8, serial number
> 186461 (I haven't been in to check if its MC or not) is NZ $425.00 - about
> $225 USD.
>
> I think I'd wait to see if a better one turns up somewhere.
>
> Brian

Brian, this is a 100/2.0 Zuiko... usually about 3x the selling price of a
100/2.8 Zuiko. I paid $390 for mine and thought that was a good price... If
I could have bought a 'broken' one for $125 then spend another $150 to fix
it I'd have felt that was a very good overall cost.

In a similar fashion, if I bought a 100/2.8 for $40 then spend another $35
to fix it I think I did OK as well. But of course, this is getting very
risky since Olympus doesn't have many OM parts and those they do still have
they have raised the cost of greatly (as John H. has observed). Buying
things to fix them is getting to be a very risky business...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...