[OM]

Subject: [OM]
From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:34:04 +0200
Hi,

I returned mid-september from a month-and-a-half trip to Japan and I
subscribed again some weeks ago, though I didn't find time yet to update
you all on how it went.  It was nice, it was great, it was expensive, and
I'd stayed there, if it wasn't for my second year of Japanese studies,
which I hope will improve my reading comprehension from complete crap to
manageable.  Talking Japanese was okay, though, and I made a lot of new
friends.  Japanese people really open up when they hear you're trying to
speak their language.

On to photography, which is why we're here.  I took my trusted OM-4Ti,
which came back with a self-timer cap less than it left.  I fixed it with
some tape-over-tape, so that I can rotate it, making it much more water
tight than just leaving the hole as it is.  Are replacement self-timer
caps available from some easily accessible source ?  I don't mind leaving
it as it is (the camera looks quite beaten up already anyway), but it
would probably be safer to fix it, since I use it frequently while it's
raining :-S  (I'd better take my OM-3 next time, in case the 4Ti gives
up...)

For lenses, I started my trip with a combo of a 28/2.8, 50/1.4 and the
90/2.  Actually, just the 28/2.8 and the 90/2 satisfied about 900f my
needs: the more pictures I started taking, the less I used the 50mm.  But
for some purposes (nature, concerts), I missed a longer lens, so with some
help from Iwert (thanks!), I layed my hands on a very nice 200/4 for about
95 euro.  This definitely removes all need for the 75-150/4 that's been
sitting idly in my cupboard for years already anyway !

I remember that when CHLing published his bokeh tests, I didn't like the
results of either of the 200mm lenses, but in practice, the 200/4 is very
nice to handle, and the results came out very nicely.  It's a keeper, and
I'd adore it if it were at least one stop brighter, preferably two.
Anybody donating a 180/2.8, a 180/2, or a 250/2, would be rewarded with
eternal gratitude and a couple of beers if they happen to be in the
neighbourhood.

I feel that with the 28/2.8, the 90/2 and the 200/4 I can cope with any
situation I encounter, except for two: buildings, and the night.  For good
compositions of buildings, I really missed a shift.  Knowing how much I
like the format of the 28mm, I don't think I could stand a 35mm: it's too
much of a standard lens to me.  I'd probably want to add the 24mm shift to
my 28/2.8 and see how well I manage: for general purpose, the 28mm would
be a nice, compact take-it-anywhere lens, and when I visit a city or a
temple or so, I'd take the shift in adition.  If anyone feels like
donating this lens to a soul in need, I could probably find the courage to
invite you to lunch, if you happen to be in Leuven.

As for night photos, I tried working with the 50/1.4 and Provia 400 during
an evening dance festival.  Only a few come out nicely.  I don't like the
50mm format: it's too far away, it has no character, it's flat...  So
rather than taking it along next time, I'll probably want to buy a flash.
Knowing about the full flash synchro of the F280, it sounds like a nice
idea, but GN28 sounds rather low.  Is there a 3rd party flash that can be
used in this way ?  According to a Nik*n friend of mine, Metz can do it
with some Nik*n bodies, and they have a higher GN too.  Next, I'll need to
know how to use it of course :-p  I'll want to understand the principles
of diaphragm-distance-GN, to then trust that the flash can do it semi
automatically.  Any good web pages on this ?

My love for polarizers, turned into a love-hate relationship.  I adore the
effect it has on skies, rooftops, cars etc., but it makes everything so
dim that even the 90/2 can be hard to handhold except during the bright
day.  Add to this that my Cokin 55mm polarizer gets stuck really easily in
any filter thread, even if I don't even screw it in all the way...
There's been moments I was *so* close to just kicking it until the glass
was reduced back to pure, white sand.

In addition to all this OM stuff, I took my beloved Minolta TC-1 "P&S",
which has a 28mm and a tiny flash, and it worked great in many
circumstances where the OM would've been too elaborate.  I also borrowed a
tiny Gitzo with a tiny Manfrotto ballhead from my sister, and while I used
it on two occasions, I doubt I'll take any tripod next time.  The world
has plenty of trees, poles and walls to push cameras against.  This will
save me another kilogram or so, making space for the new lenses :-)

As for film, most was taken on Sensia 100, since I got a great deal on
them (buy 4, get 1 free and free development) in Antwerp (Grobet).  The
rest was taken on Provia 100F, which I love for cities.  I also tried one
roll of Provia 400 and a roll of Astia.  The Minolta carried my favourite
Kodak Portra 400 VC.  I'm not particularly impressed by Astia so I'll
stick to my Sensia/Provia/Portra combo for a while to come.

After sifting through my 600 slides and 75 photos, I've just dropped some
off at the photographer's to have them scanned.  I hope that in 3 weeks I
can point you to a nice place where you can view the best of them.  I'll
also send Olafo 2 for the TOPEs that I missed.  I'll mail you again when
they're online !

Peter.