[OM] Demise of a Landmark

Subject: [OM] Demise of a Landmark
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 18:42:45 -0500
For your viewing enjoyment . . .

Loved by some as a major landmark and hated by others as a monstrous "eyesore," Kokomo Gas & Fuel demolished its enormous 48 year old natural gas tower shortly after dawn at 7:30 AM on Sunday, September 7th. No small feat considering it was 378 feet tall and 218 feet in diameter. There was considerably less land around it than would hold it (height and diameter) if it were laid on its side. It had to be telescoped into itself and allowed to slide slightly in a very specific direction to keep from hitting surrounding structures. The tower could be seen up to 20 miles away if there was a clear view of the horizon in Kokomo's direction. Several weeks were spent preparing the tower for its destruction before bringing it down completely.

At zero-dark-thirty on Sunday morning, I loaded up an OM-4 with a full roll of Kodachrome 64, put on a Winder 2 and 300mm f/4.5 Zuiko lens, and mounted it on a tripod about a mile from the tower to photograph the demise of this major landmark that dominated Kokomo's skyline. Fired off one frame to test everything, and fired off a second a couple minutes before the charges to bring the tower down were detonated. Watched the charges on the sides of the tower using binoculars to look for the flashes of the primers as I knew it would be very nearly over before I heard the concussion of the blasts. The remaining 35 frames were fired in sequence mode at 5 frames per second, and 7 seconds just barely covered the entire collapse.

Put together a web page with six of the 35 frames, including the first and last, spanning the tower's collapse . . . and yes, the images are cropped to about half their original size. They were shot horizontal not knowing how far the tower would slide off to the north (right, as seen in the photographs):
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/gastower/gastower.html

Enjoy!
-- John