[OM] We're just going to have to get past this...

Subject: [OM] We're just going to have to get past this...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 14:45:59 -0500
On the subject of the E1-OM compatibility...

I know it would be nice for the few of us that still use OM's seriously, but
commercially, it just doesn't wash. First, the number of working pros using
OM's can probably be measured on your digits. Perhaps without the use of
toes! If Nikon couldn't hang on with their sometimes pro support, Olympus
lost that market long ago. A rational view would be that the company
management never really wanted that market in the first place. So, count off
the sales to legions of existing users.

Second, how many medical facilities are still using film? If they do, they
sure aren't buying off the shelf camera equipment. Medical equipment comes
from a totally different supply line, and if Olympus is like any other large
corporation, the medical people don't talk to the camera people unless
forced (or vice-versa).

Third, the market for macrophotography is so slim, it can't drive a
commercial enterprise.

So, there it is. IF Olympus makes an OM to E1 adapter, it's a gift. It
probably boils down to the question, is the market size able to support a
mainly handmade item, at a price that will be profitable. If we're expecting
this to be offered because the company wishes to support loyal customers,
remember how few new items we've all purchased in the last ten years.

I know digital is in my future, but the big question is when. I need to
balance the cost and product useful life against the potential added revenue
to my work as an industrial photographer and value to my own hobby and
travel photography. Right now, I'm still shooting film. the one thing I
don't expect is to use any OM lenses on a digital system.

Bill Pearce