Re: [OM] OT, Fame at last - perhaps ;-)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT, Fame at last - perhaps ;-)
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:15:53 +0100
Thanks Boris. Good man on the Radio 4 front... I expect that Radio France Hector is in French, n'est-ce pas?

Spain was wonderful (except that we had bought new walking boots and waterproofs in the expectation of Bay of Biscay squalls and it blazed with sun for 9/10 days ;-)). My Tamron AD2 did not arrive in time to take my 60-300, so I took my Zuiko 50-250, 21/3.5 and 35/2.8 for my OM4. Just because I am thinking of selling the 50-250 the camera did not lock up on me...

I can thoroughly recommend Paradors (Government hotels set up by Franco in 1928), Rioja wine (I knew that anyway), lovely old Spanish churches (visited 4 monasteries as well) and Tresviso cheese (one of many from the area). Euskadi is a difficult language to fathom (we were in the Basque area around Bilbao for a while), most Spanish drivers are pretty considerate and Spaniards in the country are delightfully friendly.

I can advise you not to bother with Santillana del Mar which is an old town about 1 hour west of Bilbao. The architecture is available for view anywhere in Spain and you can avoid the throngs of mad tourists and expensive shops by going to the source in the same country, the same region. Lord, please save me from coach tours!!

Chris

ps. Bill Barber advised me that the 60-300 had a pretty good macro range; it is quite amazing for a zoom, so I have taken some photos to compare my beloved 50-250 with it... cb