Re: [OM] Free film from Kodak

Subject: Re: [OM] Free film from Kodak
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 00:46:08 -0500
Nope . . . you have it somewhat backward . . .
Kodak's chromogenic B&W film created to compete with Ilford's XP2 Super (also ISO 400) was initially created as T400CN a number of years ago (four, five ??). Kodak then released essentially the same emulsion with a slightly different orange mask for consumers called Black and White Plus 400 about a year or so later, along with the same thing under a slightly different name for APS. The release of a B&W chromogenic under the Portra umbrella was relatively recent after several years of marketing them as T400CN and the consumer version. All of these are essentially the same film. The only thing different I'm aware of is an orange mask on the consumer stuff to make it easier for the one-hour lab dweebs to deal with trying to keep prints something close to an acceptable neutral gray on color paper.

BTW, I gave up on all of them, including Ilford's XP2. Kodak's stuff is a general purpose film that tries to do everything and as a result it does nothing well. Compared to some of the *true* B&W films, it's mediocre on all counts. Ilford's XP2 Super is somewhat better, but still isn't steller at anything in particular. It is more difficult for consumer labs to print as it doesn't have much, if any, of an orange mask. Reason? It wasn't intended to be printed on color paper in a consumer lab except perhaps for very quick turn-around throw-away proofs. It's intended to be printed on true B&W paper for final prints.

-- John
[who quickly abandoned the chromogenics for a variety of reasons]